Re: How was the majordomo bug found ?

John Evans (lgas@cs.UMD.EDU)
Thu, 9 Jun 1994 18:37:28 -0400 (EDT)

On Thu, 9 Jun 1994, Vincent D. Skahan wrote:

> I suppose I'm curious if:
> 	- one of the 'bad guys' "dropped a dime" on one of his pals
> 	- somebody bled over the source code who had enough experience
> 		reading the code in that language to see a problem.
> 	- somebody had some proactive monitoring in place that we all should
> 		know about and implement.

How about a lot of the 'bad guys' are dumb.  Sooner or later, one of the
dumb 'bad guys' finds out about a hole like this from one of the more
intelligent ones and starts abusing the hell out of it, giving it to all
his friends, etc, and sooner or later everyone knows about it.  My guess
is this is what happens in 99% of cases where it's not blatantly obvious
how someone got on a system.

-
John